Saturday, November 18, 2006

Divorced ...

Sonnet #27, W. Shakespeare


EARY with toil, I haste to my bed,
The dear repose for limbs with travel tired,
But then begins a journey in my head
To work my mind when body's work's expired;
For then my thoughts, from far where I abide,
Intend a zealous pilgrimage to thee,
And keep my drooping eyelids open wide,
Looking on darkness which the blind do see;
Save that my soul's imaginary sight
Presents thy shadow to my sightless view,
Which, like a jewel hung in ghastly night,
Makes black night beauteous and her old face new.
Lo, thus, by day my limbs, by night my mind,
For thee and for myself no quiet find.

I had a short nap and I am feeling a bit better now. My back muscles though are still a bit tense - but I think it will be getting better. For those wondering why I haven't written that much ... I wasn't in the mood for writing and had some other things to do.

But let me start now:

We arrived in Boston yesterday afternoon and Eric was so kind to pick us up from the airport. We first went to his place, unpacked the few things we had taken with us and had a coffee. I changed my clothes - from casual wear to more formal and so did Gregory.

I called my lawyer in Princeton and wanted to know if he has heard something of the divorce. "Ah Dr. Wilson, I tried to reach you but you haven't been in your office." I swallowed "Well, I am in Boston at the moment. Is there anything new?", "Oh yes there is, I just wanted to inform you that the divorce is final now. I have the papers here!"

I couldn't avoid mumbling a "Strike!" - "Oh you sound very happy" and I could hear him giggling a bit. "Yes, you are right, Mr. Rubenstein, I perfectly am happy! Would it be possible to send me the copy by fax now?" There was rummaging "Yes, I can do this. May I ask for what you need it in Boston?" I first thought about not telling him the truth - but then decided to do so ... and it was good I did so. (You will see later - why!)

"Oh you want to get married again - to a man!" Did he sound joyfully? "Of course I can send you the copy. But you said you are in Boston right now?" I nodded and the noticed he couldn't see my nod "Yes, I am. Why?" "Hmm, you are both residents of New Jersey, aren't you?" Again I nodded and then answered "Correct, is there a problem?"

I could hear him sighing "Is there a problem?" I asked him again. "Well, as far as I can remember, the City of Boston can only issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples from out of state if the couple intends to reside in Massachusetts after the marriage." I gave a swore-word, but he continued "But ...", I swallowed, "but as I know you now for so long, Mr. Wilson, and ..." he hesitated a bit and then continued "...and I know that the law in New Jersey still has to cope with the same-sex marriage law, I could do you a favor."

I must have looked more than surprised and I turned around when I heard a noise at the door. Greg was standing there and looked at me questioning. I turned on the loudspeaker "Mr. Wilson?", "Sorry Mr. Rubenstein, I am still here and listening. What kind of favor are you talking about?" Greg approached and I scribbled a note on the paper Divorce is final, but probs with getting married here when you are not a Massachusetts resident - "Well, you might not know that, but I am gay as well..." my eyes popped open "and I got married in Boston. The governing mayor there is my father-in-law...".

Greg and I both stared at the phone. "I could give him a call and explain him the situation and perhaps he might grant an exemption for you." I looked at Gregory, who was just standing there nodding "Why would you do that?", I heard the lawyer sighing "Do you remember a Mrs. Rachel Butler?" My brain started to work and I tried to remember "She is from Boston, about 60 years, she had breast cancer..." he continued - I remembered "Yes, I can remember. What is with her?" I asked. "She is my mother-in-law ... well I think it would be a pleasure and honor for them, to help you now. You know?" My eyes met Greg's and he was smiling all so bright. "Mr. Rubenstein... I am speechless!", he laughed and replied "Thank me with a bottle of champagne, if the exemption is granted!" and Gregory spoke loud "You can bet we will!", "Was that your fiance?" Mr. Rubenstein asked - "Yes he was." - another giggle "So let me call him now. When is your appointment?" I checked the watch "We have to leave now. The appointment with Mr. Brown is in about half an hour.", "Ok fine! I will send a message to your mobile then.", "Thank you, Mr. Rubenstein." we both said - "Ah, Dr. Wilson give me the fax number please.", I checked Eric's fax and gave the number "Fax is on its way. Hope you'll have success.", "We both hope it as well!" - and we hang up.

I turned to Gregory "God, I hope Mr. Butler really loves his wife!", Greg nodded and smiled "You will see, honey, everything will be well!" We both turned towards the fax as we heard the beep beep sound of an incoming request ...

With the papers at hand - we then made our way to the registrar's office, both hoping that Mr. Rubenstein would have success ...

3 comments:

Julia Brooklyn said...

these are pretty good news...

Dr. James Wilson said...

Oh yes, but at that time we were both still nervous!

Dr. Gregory House said...

BIT nervous? ;)