Sunday, November 19, 2006

At the registrar...

Sonnet # 3, Shakespeare
LOOK in thy glass, and tell the face thou viewest
Now is the time that face should form another,
Whose fresh repair if now thou renewest,
Thou dost beguile the world, unbless some mother.
For where is she so fair whose uneared womb
Disdains the tillage of thy husbandry?
Or who is he so fond will be the tomb
Of his self-love, to stop posterity?
Thou art thy mother's glass, and she in thee
Calls back the lovely April of her prime;
So thou through windows of thine age shalt see,
Despite of wrinkles, this thy golden time.
But if thou live rememb'red not to be,
Die single, and thine image dies with thee.

Just before we reached the registrar's office I received a message "Dr. Wilson, I like Moet & Chandon. Rubenstein". A smile appeared on my face and I showed the message to Gregory, he checked the message twice and then looked at me "Do you think it means ...", "I hope so!" I said.

He nodded "So do I...", we reached the office and had to wait some minutes. "Dr. House and Dr. Wilson?" We looked up simultaneously and stood up, I squeezed Gregs hand for a second then we went into the office.

Mr. Brown was a man in his mid 40s and had a bald head. He looked up from some papers and smiled. "Ah there you are. Take a seat please...", we sat down and looked at him. "So" he examined us "Do you have the papers?", I gave him the fax and all the other papers we'd already prepared. "Fine, fine..." another smile and he started to check the papers. Gregory looked a bit nervous, popped a Vicodin and dry swallowed it. Please don't ask how nervous I was ...

After Mr. Brown has checked all the papers, he looked up again "Well, you might know, that only state residents can be married here in Boston." We both nodded "Yes, we know it ... but..." He interrupted us "Mr. Butler, just phoned me 15 minutes ago, and asked me to make an exception in your case..." - another simultanous nod.

He signed a paper "Do you have the fee?", Greg handed him them money and gave me a side glance. Mr. Brown continued "There is a three day waiting period to receive your license. License is valid for sixty days from the day you originally file and may be used in any city or town within the Commonwealth. This license cannot be used outside of this state." We nodded and smiled "Fine do you already have a preferred day?" "The 9th December" we said simultaneously again. He noted it on a paper "Do you want to get married here in Boston?" We looked at each other and shrugged "Why not?" Greg said and I agreed. "Good" said Mr. Brown and entered it in the file.

He handed us the papers "Please sign here and here..." we checked the papers and then signed. Mr. Brown grabbed the papers again "So you have to pick up your licence next week on Thursday. A Priest, Minister, Rabbi or a Justice of the Peace may perform the ceremony. A Justice of the Peace does not require witnesses to the ceremony but some religions may require witnesses so you should contact such person before the ceremony so that requirement can be met. The person who performs the ceremony of marriage must sign the license and return it to the city or town where it was issued. That is the only place where the license will be registered." He looked at us, we both smiled and nodded.

"Fine then, I'll see you on Thursday 3 pm!", I cleared my throat "Thank you, Mr. Brown!" and we shook hands, Greg nodded "Thank you!" and we both stood up and went out still beaming.

In the hall we looked at each other "Oh my god, we will be getting married", Greg said. I caressed his cheek "Wanna chicken out?", he shook his head "Of course NOT!", then he grabbed my collar, drew me nearer and kissed me softly.

3 comments:

Dr. Gregory House said...

I'm still beaming with happiness!

Dr. James Wilson said...

So am I, darling.

Julia Brooklyn said...

Great! Simply great... And Sonet # 3 is nice as well!